"Foxcatcher"














Title: Foxcatcher
Director: Bennett Miller
Writer: E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman
Category: Drama, Biography, Sport
Duration: 129 min
Rate:starstar



Award season does not always mean good reviews about movies that I actually enjoyed watching, it also means having to endure 2 hours of sometimes boring, or just plain movies because you actually saw all the films that you know you were going to love. When I decided to watch Foxcatcher I already knew that I was not going to like it because I am not interested in wrestling as a sport or as an Olympic discipline for that matter.

However, since it has a few Oscar nominations I thought that maybe before I judge this particular "book" only from its cover I should give it a try. Well, this is one of those cases in which receiving recognitions does not always mean that the movie is a masterpiece. The story could have had potential, however, it was developed in a dull way.
It is just a series of events following one another without emotions. The characters were barely analysed in their complexity. Steve Carell gave it all yes, but he had so little to work with because the screenplay was flat as well as the story. All the actors had to endure major physical changes both in their bodies and their movement, so nominating Mark Ruffalo for this performance was a waste for me, not only because he is a great actor and it seems like in this movie he was not feeling 100% invested, but also because Channing Tatum had to go through the same physical process and I found that he was a little bit more invested in his role. The ending was surprising, but just because I did not know the true facts behind this movie about the Schultz brothers and John du Pont.
All in all, in my opinion, this movie could be avoided because it does not give you anything more than something you could find on the Wikipedia page of these real life persons.

Till next time,

Fred

Here the trailer:

Comments

Popular Posts