"Irrational Man"












Title: Irrational Man
Director: Woody Allen
Writer: Woody Allen
Category: Drama, Mystery
Duration: 95 min
Rate: starstarstar


My relationship with Woody Allen's films has always been a conflicting one. Every odd year, I found myself loving the new release. So it is quite easy to know when I'm going to be satisfied with his productions and when not.
After Blue Jasmine, which I loved, I had hopes that maybe Magic in the Moonlight was going to surprise me, since the cast was stellar and the storyline an Allen Classic. However, I was a little bit disappointed after watching it and the"magic" for me was not there. With this clear notion in my mind, I was sure that Irrational Man was going to be a part of my long time favourites and, after watching it, I have to say that I am still not sure how I feel about it.
The plot is focused on Abe. He is a philosophy professor going through a major life crisis. 
He is apathetic and dispassionate, an alcoholic who does not appreciate the beauty of life anymore. He cannot find pleasure in anything and to him nothing is interesting enough. However, is still infamous reputation as a well respected professor precedes him. The teaching body is excited to have him and the students cannot wait to see if the rumors around him are true, especially the ones about his sexcapades with his female students.
When everything seems doomed, and Abe is ready to give up on the idea of ever finding a renewed interest in something, he starts to build a relationship with Jill (Emma Stone). She is a brilliant student whose only flaw is falling in love with every man who needs to be rescued and Abe is the perfect candidate to receive her affection. However, it is not his relationship with Jill that will wake up Abe from his numbness, but rather an absurd series of unusual and unfortunates events.
As usual, I am not going to spoil the film for anyone and I have to say that I had to leave out the most interesting and filled with dark humor aspect of the movie.
At first the pace of the film is slow. The minutes stretch so much that it feels like everything is being dragged around. Although this might seem like a bad thing, for Irrational Man is the opposite. In fact, the movie's rhythm goes hand in hand with Abe's evolution and when he has finally found a reason to be enthusiastic about life the film becomes dynamic and sharp.
Joaquin Phoenix gave a great performance as Abe, the spark in his eyes when he discovers a new purpose to move on with his life is astonishing. His whole body changes with Abe's new frame of mind and even the way in which he carries himself around seems lighter somehow. 
Emma Stone proved once again that she can hold her own, even while working with an amazing cast of seasoned actors. She plays the part of the innocent and clever girl effortlessly making it even possible to accept the weird relationship that Jill has with Abe, who is much older than her.
While I am not a fan of the voice over technique, I believe that in Irrational Man it was well balanced and did not distract the audience or give away too much information too soon. 
However, the strength of the movie resides in Woody Allen's ability to create an absurd plot twist centered on his famous black humor, making people laugh about death in the most natural way.
Abe's unreasonable rationality is disarmingly hilarious and it prepares the field for Woody Allen's comic dynamics.
All in all, Irrational Man is a good and undemanding dark comedy written and directed according to Woody Allen's standards. However, it is a film that still surprises in the end.

Till next time,

Fred

Here the trailer:

Comments

Popular Posts